DarkPoolNine

DP9

What I'm reading, what I'm thinking of reading & what I've read. And stuff.

Dessert divas
Christine Manfield
A Man on the Moon
Andrew Chaikin
The Italian Chapel - Philip Paris, David Rintoul A really charming story. I think it suffered a bit from being based on fact; it seemed utterly wrong to me that the chapel should be only just completed before the community that built it were moved on. It just seems such a shame. But reality's a bit like that, and perhaps that just adds to the poignancy of the tale. The way the chapel benefited the men was as a project to pour their love, faith and creativity into rather than simply as a place of worship.
The epilogue, and the authors note at the end were greatly appreciated - it was good to find out the extent to which the novel was fabricated. The narrator was excellent, switching between English, Italian and Scottish accents with fluency.
I'd be quite interested to read Philip Paris's non-fiction book on the same topic: [b:Orkney's Italian Chapel: The True Story of an Icon|8986507|Orkney's Italian Chapel The True Story of an Icon|Philip Paris|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/412uCnXAhUL._SL75_.jpg|13863675], but annoyingly my library doesn't have that one.