DarkPoolNine

DP9

What I'm reading, what I'm thinking of reading & what I've read. And stuff.

Dessert divas
Christine Manfield
A Man on the Moon
Andrew Chaikin
Lord of the Silver Bow - David Gemmell Oh, what an excellent book. It took me a chapter or two to work out who was who, and what was going on, but once I had everyone sorted out in my head I could really enjoy the tales. I found the main characters well drawn, keeping faith with the traditions of the Trojan War story that has endured to current times, while not pushing the mythological aspects beyond the realms of the believable. Odysseus is a particularly enchanting character, and I look forward to meeting him again in the next book in the series. The story really belongs to Helikaon, who is one of the most appealing flawed heroes I've read in ages, and I'm quite in love with him.
The narrative rattled along at a fair pace, without getting bogged down in unnecessary descriptive detail, something many other authors could learn from! Fight scenes where clear and concise, and without unnecessary gory descriptiveness.
Many thanks to the colleague who loaned me the series, knowing I'd enjoy them. I'm sure once I've finished them I'll read my way through the rest of David Gemmell's books.