DarkPoolNine

DP9

What I'm reading, what I'm thinking of reading & what I've read. And stuff.

Dessert divas
Christine Manfield
A Man on the Moon
Andrew Chaikin
The Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England: A Handbook for Visitors to the Fourteenth Century - Ian Mortimer "If medieval England is treated as dead and buried, what one can say about it is strictly limited by the questions arising from the evidence. However, if treated as a living place, the only limits are the experience of the author and his perception of the requirements, interests and curiosity of his readers. " p290

A very readable book; the premise that this is a travel rather than a history book works extremely well. The aim - as implied by the quote above - is to make the past a living place, not something that is dead and cold and fixed. The writing style is very immediate - the author addressing the reader directly on many occasions. The book is structured along the lines of a travel guide, with sections on where to stay, what to eat and drink, and what to do, as well as much helpful advice on the dangers of travel, health and hygiene, and the law. Each chapter is divided into sections and subsections, making it a convenient read for those like myself with a short attentions span, or who like to snatch moments to read in the course of a day.
Recommended!